The director of PDI, Prof. Dr. Roman Engel-Herbert, is responsible for the institute and its scientific program and output.
PDI is one of seven research institutes within the Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. (FVB). All institutes share a common legal entity and administrative infrastructure while maintaining scientific autonomy. The administrative director of FVB, Dr. Nicole Münnich, functions as the managing director of the institutes.
Scientific Advisory Board
PDI's scientific advisory board consists of outstanding national and international researchers. They advise the institute on scientific matters, discuss its scientific strategy, and once a year evaluate its research activities. The current members are:
- Prof. Dr. Manfred Bayer, Technische Universität Dortmund, Fakultät Physik, Germany
- Dr. Martin Behringer, Siemens HL, Osram Opto Semiconductor, Germany
- Prof. Dr. Oscar Dubon Jr., UC Berkeley, USA
- Prof. Nicolas Grandjean, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Laboratory of Advanced Semiconductors for Phototonics and Electronics, Switzerland
- Prof. Dr. Dagmar Gerthsen, Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT), Karlsruhe, Germany
- Dr. Michelle D. Johannes, Center for Computational Materials Science, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington D.C., USA
- Dr. Heike E. Riel, IBM-Research, Zürich, Switzerland
- Prof. Dr. Werner Wegscheider, ETH Zürich, Advanced Semiconductor Quantum Materials, Laboratory for Solid State Physics, Switzerland
- Prof. Dr. Ursula Wurstbauer, Institut für Physik, Westfälische Wilhelms Universität Münster, Münster, Germany
- Dr. Elke Arenholz, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA, USA